email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Long, Long, Long road to California.














Hey everyone, sorry I haven't kept up with the blog until now. Preparations back at home were so hectic leading up to the run that I barely had time to update the facebook site. Hopefully, now that we are on the road and the prep work is over, I will have a much better chance to update the blog. We left from Spencer on Saturday, March 26th. Estimated time of departure (according to mom) was 10am. I was thinking much more like Noon. So, in true Miller family fashion, We pulled out of the driveway at 527 Church Street at a healthy 4:30 pm. The drive thru WV and Kentucky was nice, but as soon as Indiana was in our sights, the skys went dark. Then came the snow. Then came more snow. Luckily, this snow was briefly interrupted by snow. Being the self-proclaimed long drive expert that I am, I convinced mom to let me get us to Columbia, MO anyway, which was our original Saturday destination. That lasted until the Illinois border, where the intense snow turned into, massively intense, blinding, all-encompassing snow. We decided to call it a night at the first rest area in IL. The bed in the back of the van was very comfortable, so I'm very excited not to have to worry about sleeping arrangements on this journey. Yesterday was Sunday. I wanted to make up the lost time from Saturday, so we got on the road at 7:20am, sights set on Arrowhead, CO. It was a beautiful morning drive because the sun was out, and everything had a dusting of white snow. We drove hard through Kansas and into Colorado. Unfortunately, as the darkness came, so did the fog. Drove through thick fog all the way to Denver. Mom wanted to quit an hour before we even got to Denver, but my stubborness won. So we pushed on, to the Rocky Mountains. Apparently it snows in the Rockies. That John Denver's full of shit man (Dumb and Dumber movie reference, for those that don't know). We were finally forced off the road after 16 hours of driving, just 40 miles from our destination. We figured heck, we'll take it easy today. Just a short 40 mile drive and we can rest for the day. Well, 40 miles equals 2 hours in the Rockies, because with blinding snow, and covered roads, the speed limit drops to a slothful 20 mph. We have finally arrived at Arrowhead, and after unclenching my teeth, fists, and other unnamed body parts, I can finally relax long enough to sit down, enjoy the afternoon, and blog.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! What a ride...felt like I was right there beside you all..except for the fact that I 'm currently sitting inside my house, basking in the sun's warm rays coming through the glass doors! Keep traveling and keep blogging! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the great photos! The snow may be challenging, but everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete