email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 32: Brutal

Brutal. That is the only word I need to describe today's run. Brutal. From 2,800 feet at the beginning of the run, to 4,600 feet not more than 8 miles in. Around twists and turns in the road, sometimes with no road on which to run. Huge banks to the right around some turns, huge banks to left around others. All sorts of rocks along the road, big and small. Oh, and lest I forget, a steady, 20 mph wind in my face the entire run. I ran over top of Devil's Canyon, through What the Hell Pass, up and over Purgatory Hill, underneath jutting rocks that could fall at any moment and squash me like one of the many pieces of roadkill I passed today. There were no breaks, there was no let up in today's route, sans for a small 3 mile stretch of flat land at the beginning of the afternoon. My legs were worn out before today's run even began, and now, well now they are just on strike and refusing to work.
It is very unfortunate that the run was so difficult today, because if I could have focused on anything other than the gasping breaths I was taking from running at altitude and the jello that was my legs, I could have really enjoyed some beautiful scenery. There are some huge copper mines at Top of the World and Globe, Arizona that are just massive. The rock formations on the way up the mountain were awe-inspiring, although I didn't stop long enough to get pictures of them for fear of getting smashed by them. Even though the run was mighty tough, one of the hardest since the 3rd day, I was able to stay mentally strong throughout, and finish the day.
I was still on an emotional high from the news about Osama Bin Dyin' last night. I can only venture to guess how everyone else feels, but I did get some pretty neat pictures sent to me, care of Mike Snyder, of the madness on High Street in Morgantown. Even as a 32 year old, I wish I could have been there to celebrate. What a shot in the arm for this country. We need something to celebrate, and this event hopefully will serve to remind this country that there are still soldiers out there, sacrificing, and dying, to keep us safe. I know I have not, and will never forget their sacrifiices.
I did hate to see my buddy Adam leave this morning though. We had such a blast for the time he was out here, as we always do. It was a great emotional lift to me at just the right time. I was starting to get pretty homesick. I felt like a damn king while he was out here, as he treated me to, well everything. From the Radisson Hotel, to the biggest King crab legs I've ever seen at Pappadeaux Restaurant, to the sushi and wine tasting at Sedona. He treated me to all of it. I think this must be what its like to be famous. If so, I wouldn't mind being famous, haha. Unfortunately, Adam had to get back to the real world today, which left me with kind of a sad feeling. But I am so fortunate that he had the opportunity to come out. As I have said many times before, I think I've been blessed with some of the greatest friends anyone could ever have. They have all been behind me on this journey 100%, and I miss them all dearly. Can't wait to get home and see everyone. But that will have to wait a few more months. For now, got some runnin' to do. Night.

2 comments:

  1. as usual, mind over matter. Way to hang in their and remember my buddy TF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving reliving all of this!

    ReplyDelete