email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 43: First Full Day in New Mexico.

Sorry about the lack of blogging in the last 2 days, and don't worry, I haven't quit, nor am I lying on the side of the road somewhere. The blogsite itself went on the fritz these past few days and I couldn't even sign in to the account. I finally have some good wifi connection up here at 8,000 feet in Pie Town, NM. Uploaded the video from yestarday, running for Jacob Fetty. Also got today's on here, running for Bill Higgs. So the stars have aligned, the blog is finally up to date, and all is right with the world.
The weather is starting to heat back up, and I couldn't be happier. I actually got to run in shorts and a shirt today, for a little while. The altitude is still wreaking havoc on my lungs and muscles. I am just happy to manage each 20 mile day right now. Only 5 more running days at this elevation before I start down the other side of these mountains.
Today I finished my run just 2 miles short of Quemado, NM. It is a town about the size of Reedy, so it shocked me when we pulled into the town and there were 4 police cars running a road check. The officer who stopped us suggested the Largo Cafe for some food, as I was ready to unleash the fury on some grub. What a great cafe, and a great visit. The waitress was fantastic, and she even called the owner to see if they could donate to the cause. The owner donated the meal tonight, which nearly brought tears to my eyes, haha. Not really, but the country fried steak did. While we were eating, a huge group of firefighters came in to the cafe. After some careful recon by Mom, she found out that it was the Arizona/Pima Wildland Firefighters group. Mom talked to Jeff, the guy in charge of the group and told him about the trip. Before they left, he asked if the entire unit could get a picture with me!! Such a humbling experience. I was thinking, I'd love to be able to get a picture with those guys. I guess I'm still like a kid in that respect. Just in awe of firefighters. They seem like some of the toughest dudes to be in that line of work. I am still not used to people asking me for a picture, and I don't know if I ever will be. I keep thinking, "all I'm doing is running." It was such an honor to meet these firefighters, and the stop in Quemado was definitely memorable.
We drove on to Pie Town, NM to stay at an RV Park for the next few nights. Got here after dark, so it was quite difficult finding the RV Park in a town with a population of about 20. We did manage to find the place, with the help of 2 of the town's residents, and I am very excited to visit the Pie Town Cafe tomorrow for breakfast. So excited, in fact, that I may have trouble sleeping. I think I'll give it a shot anyway. Goodnight all.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that everything is okay with you all, Drew. It was a little scary not being able to access "blog" for a few days. Got me to thinking that maybe making a backup or copy of all posts would be a really good idea just in case it all crashed and everything "disappeared". On a lighter note, I am just loving hearing the names of all these places you are visiting during your journey! "Pie Town" - a person could gain 20 pounds just thinking about that one! :D Run on, young man!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet it is fun to try all these new restaurants and see these sights!!! Keep up the good work bro!

    ReplyDelete