email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Day 47: Energy-thieving Gnomes.

That must have been the cause of my lack of energy. The dreaded energy-thieving gnomes must have somehow broken into the van last night and stolen my mojo. I was running on fumes all day. Thankfully, the road today was entirely flat and straight, and I had a strong wind at my back. It is days like today that I am in such shock at the end of 20 miles. Shock that my body continues to put up with the stress placed on it. Shocked that, unlike decisions of my past, I refuse to quit no matter the aches, pains, and general fatigue I feel. This journey continues to open my eyes to just how far I can push myself, and how relentless my mind seems to be, even when my body wants to stop. It's really just kind of neat, haha.
Today, I ran from 5 miles west of Datil, NM to 15 miles past it. I say that, because there was nothing at the finish today, other than Mom and the van. I did get to pass the National Radio Astronomy Observatory on the long straight stretch of road today. I was told that a scene in the movie Contact was filmed there, which I guess is cool. Also met another biker from Denmark who was traveling from California to Houston by motorcycle. That must be a big thing in Denmark, because we've met a bunch of them doing the bike tour along the way. He asked if I'd be bothered if he took a picture, which of course I wasn't. So if anyone reading this happens to have a subscription to Denmark Traveler magazine (I made that up by the way) I could be in it, haha.
Anyway, we drove back to Datil and ate at the local cafe for the 2nd straight night. Currently, we are sitting in the van outside of the cafe, totally stealing their wifi connection so I can type this. Gonna head back to the Datil Well Campground for the night and try to get lots of sleep. I have installed an anti-gnome theft system in the van, made by ADT I believe, so hopefully I will be at full capacity tomorrow. I am really missing everyone back home, and I can't wait to see everyone. Its been pretty isolating the last week or so, for both myself and Mom. We have no cell service, and probably won't for another week or so. Haven't been able to talk to Dad or my sister, which I really kind of need from time to time, as I'm sure Mom does too. Luckily, we've been able to find some wifi signals in each little town, so we aren't totally cut off from the folks back home. I guess maybe I should just run faster so we can make it into cell phone service, haha. Maybe I'll try that tomorrow. Goodnight all.

No comments:

Post a Comment