email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 38: Snakes!!

That's right, I finally saw live snakes. Damn, thought I was gonna make it through Arizona without that. Saw 2 live ones this afternoon, within 5 minutes of each other. I have no idea what kind they were, and I don't care to. One was about 4 feet long, and the other, well, I didn't stick around long enough to find out. Now, I wish I could say I went all Bear Grylls on the snakes, and bit them into pieces to feed on them for sustinance, but in case you didn't know, I am terrified of snakes. I do believe I could've kept pace with Usain Bolt after I saw the first one. Point of the story here, I hate snakes.
The reason I started with this story is, there's not much else to write about tonight. The run today was nearly back to normal, which is a great relief to me. Although there were some hills, for the most part, they were gradual and very short term. There was a good bit of flat land runnning through Show Low, and other than the wind chill factor of negative 30 degrees, the run was quite pleasant. Today's run gave me a chance to recover a little strength, and it gave me a much needed mental boost. I was getting kind of worried the last 5 or 6 running days that it wasn't the terrain that was making me so miserable, but that my body just wasn't able to handle this much running. Today I ran from an elevation of 6,331 feet at the start, to 7,196 at the end. My lungs felt fine, and my legs weren't as noodly (is that even a word?) as they had been on the nasty uphills. It was a nice lift to know that I can run at elevation, as long as I'm not running up Mt. Everest, haha.
Today, obviously, was Mother's Day. So in honor of Mom, I tried my best not to be as needy as usual. Hopefully I succeeded in not frustrating her too much. I will be absolutely amazed if she makes it through this entire trip with all of her hair. I know how I am, and that is a scary thought when I think about my mother's sanity for the next 4 months. To even survive being crammed into close quarters with me for 4 months takes an iron will, or a lot of Prozac. It just goes to show how absolutely amazing my mother has always been, and continues to be, to me. A lot of credit for this trip goes to her. From the countless hours she spent mapping the route for me, for all of the prep work for the trip, to her daily duties as road crew, Mom has made this trip work. I know it sounds cliche', but I just don't know what I would do without her. Absolutely wonderful woman!! So, Happy Mother's Day to my mom, and to all the mothers out there!!
Rest day tomorrow! YAY!! I called Denny's in advance to warn them of my impending arrival in the morning. I hope they are prepared, haha. Night all.

1 comment:

  1. I just read this...this is a very very late comment on your tribute to your wonderful Mother. Drew your description of how your Mother has supported you through out this journey is very special. Judy is your rock and I am in awe of her dedication to this very important cause. I am thankful to not only you but also your mother for helping your bring awareness to our Wounded Warriors.

    ReplyDelete