email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 81: Reflecting on Friends.

Real quickly, the run was good again today, and that's 6 in a row,  one away from tying the current record. The weather was very nice, and the breeze was at my back all day. Had to outrun a storm at the end of the day, and made it just before getting a few sprinkles of rain. 63 days of running and not a single drop of rain so far, it's really kind of unbelievable.
Today, I spent much of the run reflecting on my many wonderful friendships over the years. I came to the conclusion that I am undoubtedly one of the luckiest men in the world for the friendships I've had. Like me, many of my friends are going through trying, difficult, painful, and faith-testing times right now. At the same time, many other friends are going through some of the best times of their lives. I thought a lot about all of the times, good and bad, I've had with many of my friends through the years. Most have been good. The circle of friends I've been surrounded by are some of the most loyal, and dedicated I've ever seen. Any number of my friends would, at the drop of a hat, do anything they could to help me, and I the same for them. I guess I am just really missing my buddies right now. I've been on this journey now for a little over two and a half months, and I guess you could say I'm just a little homesick. People may say "Homesick?! For Spencer?!". Yes, homesick for Spencer. I believe in my heart I am a small town guy, it's just more comfortable for me. I hear a lot of young people say "there's noting to do in Spencer, I can't wait to get out of this town, blah blah blah". As someone who truly cherishes that little community, I can't help being slightly offended. But, I have to remind myself, they are just kids, they don't really get it yet, haha. I'm not trying to seem condescending to anyone of the previous opinion; heck, I may have even said it myself when I was younger. All I am saying is, now, having gotten some life experiences under my belt, I am very lucky to have grown up in Spencer. The friendships I developed at a very young age are, by and large, still going today. I am only 32 years old, and I've had some close friends for 25, 26, 27 of those years. I do hope that my friends who are struggling with things in their lives can keep persevering and battle through these times. Having done so myself, I can attest to how good it feels to be on the other side of things. I hope that these friends who are fighting some serious demons can feel comfortable enough to call out for some help, be it to me, one of our other friends, or family. Struggling through life is hard, and from time to time, we need to signal S.O.S. to someone and hope for a lifeline. Most of all, I just want to see my friends truly happy, because so many times, that is what they have made me. For my friends who are going through some wonderful times, I am so happy for you!! (And a few of you know what I am talking about, so I don't want to give anything away, haha) Of course, remember to enjoy these good times, please do not take them for granted. Most of all, to all my friends, I just want to send you all another huge Thank You!! For always being there for me, and continuing to be throughout life. On a most personal note: I want to send out my warmest thoughts and prayers to Toby Ford, his wife Crystal, and the kids as they go through this tough stretch. I wish the best for Toby, and hope for the best possible scenario, and a speedy recovery. You are both wonderful people, and have been very good friends to me. That's all for tonight folks. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment