email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 90: Random Thoughts From the Road.

So, I got passed by a younger, female runner today like I was almost standing still. For a brief instant, I debated pulling a Jim Cooper and challenging her to a race to the finish line, but I wasn't sure if she was planning on running all the way to West Virginia. As I was debating this epic battle, she was quickly leaving me in the dust. I wasn't sure quite how to take this sudden, yet personally demoralizing defeat. I just watched her getting further away, with my jaw dropped open, trying to process this apparent lack of respect for her elder, haha. Just then, a bug flew into my mouth, and straight down my throat. Finally, after 1,405 miles, I inhaled a juicy flying species. For anyone who hasn't had the good fortune to swallow a bug, let me just tell you...bugs is good eatin'. I figured I needed the protein and carbs anyway, so I tried my best not to violently throw it back up.  At the time, I just happened to be running by a field full of what I think was cabbage, or spinach, or corn, or maybe it was okra. Not really sure since it was just a bunch of leaves, and I don't really know what any of that stuff looks like in early stages. Come to think of it, it may have just been some grass. I seriously debated chasing my bug supplement with some of the green, cabbage-ish, spinachy, cornokra grass, but I was afraid I might get shot by the farmer. Even though the spread was in front of a retirement community, I was sure that, at some point, one of the residents may have been a farmer.

I also thought tons about the upcoming football season, both for WVU and for our Roane County Raiders. John Pena has been keeping me updated on the success of our boys of fall during the summer 7 on 7 tournaments. Wow!! 3 out of 3, champions of all, whuupin' up on A, AA, and AAA teams along the way. It is definitely shaping up to be a very special year. I can hardly contain my excitment when I think about it. Only 2 more months!!

I also received one of the best text messages in my life, when Toby Ford sent me a message to let me know he was awake and doing okay. Although he said he felt like he'd been run over by a truck, I was just so happy to see his name pop up on my phone. I pray for a speedy recovery for Tobias.

I almost got eaten alive by a doberman that I swear came from Chernobyl. This thing was a mutated version of a regular doberman. I'm not kidding, the thing stood on all fours and could look me in the eyes. Luckily for me, his reaction time was a slight bit slow, so by the time he noticed I was traversing near his owner's domicile, I was already saved by a fence, or so I thought. Ole Cujo hit the fence at full steam, on a dead sprint, barking and foaming at the mouth, and nearly uprooted the support posts. It was at this point that I decided to bring out my trusty Usain Bolt impersonation. As Cujo was running the fenceline, looking for an escape plan so he could feast on my sweat and fear soaked body, I was pulling 3-G's down the gravel road. He finally found the driveway exit and peered around the end of the fence at me one last time before he decided not to go after supper. Let's just say, without getting too graphic, I was puckered for a few miles after.
Oh, and I made 25 miles today. Relatively easily. I did 20 miles in the morning, finishing around 1pm, just as the thermostat was nearing hell temperature. Spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing in the comfort of an air conditioned hotel room at the Super 8 in El Dorado, KS, once again courtesy of the hard work of Holly Paugh. Huge thanks to the Manager and staff here for supporting the run!! I finally got back out about 8:15, and casually finished the last 5 miles of the day. I really wish I had the power to clone running days, because today would be on permanent repeat until I got home. I barely remember much about the actual run itself. I was just off in wonderland, thinking of odd things most of the day, some of which made the blog tonight. Hoping for another one like this tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! Seriously glad that your runs are going so well and it looks like you will get to see your dad and sister soon! Hope today is going as well for you.

    ReplyDelete