email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 107: Not So Bad.

I actually had a bit of a break from the intense heat during the first 10 miles today. A small amount of cloud cover reduced the sun's intensity and a nice, cool breeze kept me pretty content. Dare I say, it was almost comfortable. Of course, it didn't last, and I was nearly passing out by the end of the run, haha. That first 10 miles, though, was like Christmas to me. I'll take anything I can get at this point. There was also a noticeable lack of roadkill for the day, which was also a welcome break for my olfactory senses. At the 15 mile mark, when I stopped for water, Mom had parked in a person's driveway (there's a shortage of pulloff spots on these roads) and was talking to him. Turns out, he is a veteran, and very wise in the ways of backroads. He told us of a set of backroads that would cut almost 20 miles off our route. That's a huge chunk, an entire day in fact. So, unlike any other backroading experience I've ever had, I ran some gravel and dirt roads for 3 of the last 5 miles. So glad Mom stopped and talked to him, because it led to a shortcut, which led us to Waynesville, Missouri, which led us to Subway for lunch, which led us to the Super 8 Motel in St. Robert, which led us to meet Pam, who comp'd us 2 nights at the motel!! On top of that, Pam called a TV station out of Springfield about the run, and they may be doing a story on me tomorrow. I can't even begin to thank Pam, Stephanie, and the entire staff here enough for the wonderful gift. I am so overwhelmed by the kindness of people across the country. Knowing that we don't have to look for a place to stay after the run tomorrow really makes a difference for me mentally. I know we cannot afford to stay in hotels every night, but it is just so unbearably hot right now, even at night, that I'd never be able to recover at all if I couldn't get out of the heat. I am just hoping that the heat breaks at some point so we don't have to worry so much. Got one more day of running before another break, and I am really, REALLY, looking forward to it. Oh, and I forgot to mention, there is a Waffle House bout 1/2 mile from the Motel. You think I should call them tomorrow night and warn them of my planned arrival on my day off Monday morning? 

1 comment:

  1. Dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Stinkin to high heaven.
    You don't have to touch
    And you don't have to see
    Cuz you can smell it in your olfactory
    When there's a dead skunk in the middle of the road
    Stinkin to high heaven

    Just thought you might want to hear this song again.
    I could send it to you as a ringtone if you would like.
    'neen

    ReplyDelete