email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 13: Smooth Sailing.

Well folks, the prayers were definitely answered for today's run. The ground beneath my feet was level all day, and thanks to a heavy dose of pain buster muscle cream and an Ibuprofen, my leg was basically numb all day. Now, anyone that knows me well can attest to the fact that I absolutely cannot stand to take medication in any form, and will avoid it at all costs, even if I am deathly ill. But, due to the severe pain I felt yesterday, mom actually talked me into taking the pain med. Hopefully I won't need another one, haha. The run today was just as the blog title suggests, smooth sailing. The weather was nice, the ground was level, I had a helping wind, and I was basically pain free all day. I did feel a little tired most of the day, but I believe that is simply due to the enormous stress I am putting on my body. There wasn't much noteworthy about the run today, which is probably a blessing. It came at a good time, because I needed a pretty smooth run. I forgot to mention in yesterday's blog that at the end of my run yesterday, I was officially over 200 miles for the trip so far. Tomorrow I will reach a couple milestones as well. One is pretty small, it marks the end of my 3rd four day stretch of running, and it means a rest day is near, YAY!! The other milestone is slightly more significant. At about 19.5 miles into my 20 mile run tomorrow, I will officially cross the border from California into Arizona. One state down, 9 more to go before I reach good ole West Virginia!
Now, if you had asked me a year ago if I could run across any state, in any amount of time, for any reason, I probably would have told you to get bent, haha. Hell, a year ago, I wouldn't even have run to town from my house, which is an astronomical 0.2 miles distance. What a difference a year, well actually 4 months, makes.
I started this journey of weight loss just a little over 3 months ago. And today I was running in honor of John Pena, who was my training partner for the months leading up to the run. I remember the look on John's face when I first told him about the run. We were sitting in the Country Table restaurant, in the extra room, and I was scarfing on some chili (which I miss so badly, and can't wait to get home and have another bowl). The look on his face was priceless, and he was momentarily rendered catatonic. He couldn't speak, or move. But just as John is, as soon as the initial shock wore off, he was very excited for me. I think right at that moment, he decided to train with me. John and I started this journey at basically the same weight, and he has busted his butt every week to drop the weight. And it shows, as he is melting fat away at an alarming pace. I love it!! I love seeing the success he is having, and it continues to motivate me, even though I am no longer right beside him working out.
John and his wife Kristin are two of the most wonderful people I have ever known, and I am a most fortunate person because they are a huge part of my life. Both of them have seen me through some pretty rough times, especially these past 7 years. They truly have hearts of gold, and the patience of saints. As I discussed in my earlier posts, I do desire to be a father someday. I watch John as a father, and Kristin as a mother, and I know if I can be half the parent that they both are, my kid will do just fine. John definitely was training to help me, but more than that, he was training for himself and his family, which will be growing by 1 come this October!! Yep, Kristin is preggo, haha. I always wanted to say preggo. I know that their son Tyson is very excited to have a brother or sister, and all of their friends are very excited for them both.
I know you all didn't necessarily need a history on John and Kristin, but since I was running for John today, I thought a lot about him, haha. I just want to say to John, "Thank you so much for believing in me, not only in this run, but as a friend. And thank you so much for training with me. The encouragement you gave me was invaluable. I can't wait to get back and see the progress you have made. Do work son!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment