email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Day 18: The Gas Tank is Still on E.

That is E, for empty. When I thought I had nothing left to give yesterday, I was apparently mistaken. Compared to today, I had worlds of energy. I got up earlier today to try and beat the searing heat of the desert, which I did. But my body just didn't respond. The whole morning 12 miles was kind of a blur to me, because I felt like I was becoming slightly delirious all morning. My legs were dead from the first steps I took this morning until the last steps I took for the morning run.  Everything was dead, from my legs, to my arms. After 8 miles, I reached the RV Campground we stayed at last night, and seriously considered calling it a day at that moment. But, my stubborn old mind just wouldn't let me quit. I figured, hell, if I can just drag my legs along for 4 miles, I'll get a nice rest. So I started the last 4 miles of the morning. Now, the campground is in a town called Hope, Arizona. And I use the term town very loosely. The "town" consists of the RV Park, the Hope Church, a convenience store that is completely shut down, and a diner next to the store that is also shut down. As I was beginning my last 4  miles of the morning, it was a gentle upslope at first. About a half mile out of Hope, there is a sign along the road that reads "You are now beyond Hope". Those words were an omen of what was to come in the next 3 1/2 miles. Let me just say, it is very difficult to even move your legs when your energy is gone. It becomes nearly impossible running directly into a stiff breeze, uphill for 3 1/2 miles. And thats exactly what I got. Like a punch drunk fighter beyond his years, that refused to go down (or was just too damn stubborn and stupid), I kept moving. Up, and up, and up, and up. I kept thinking "Please Lord let there be flat ground around this turn", but it was not to be. 3 1/2 miles straight uphill, to finish one of the hardest mornings I've ever had, running or elsewise. I might also mention that at this point, I am either pissing blood, or diluted cranberry juice concentrate. Sorry for the graphic nature of the previous statement, but it is the truth. And I am slightly alarmed by this. At least my kidneys don't hurt, so hopefully it's nothing too serious.
Thankfully, I was able to finish the morning, and once again, I debated on calling it a day. But after an extended rest, I felt decent enough to torture myself mercilessly for a few more hours. Had the road and the wind not changed for the afternoon, I don't know that I would have finished today. I believe the good Lord heard my prayers/incessant whining about the wind and the road and the hills and my legs and, well you get the idea. As the afternoon run began, I had a slight uphill slope again, but the road was newly paved, with a nice wide shoulder on which I could run. Not more than a half mile in, I crested the death march hill and was greeted with flat, straight, beautiful, glorious road. Oh, and I forgot to mention, the winds had shifted in my direction. So, for the last 8 miles today, I almost had the ability to recover while running. What a blessing. I can't honestly say that I would have quit had the road stayed narrow and hilly, but I will say that I am very thankful I didn't have to find out. I made it to just short of Wenden, Arizona at dusk, feeling extremely tired, but also relieved that the day was over, and somehow more emboldened mentally by the fact that my mind basically told my body to shove it, and that it was coming along for the ride whether it liked it or not.
We drove back to the "town" of Hope, and are back at the RV Park for the night. And I am very happy that I get to ride in a van up the death march hill tomorrow morning. Here's hoping tomorrow's road is once again flat, level, and wide, with a helping wind. But, if it's not, oh well, I push forward anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Andrew,

    This is Bo Burgess. I think its awesome what you are doing for our military, a little crazy, but definitley awesome. I emailed Bill Oreilly today at Fox News and attached a link to your story. He's a big supporter of wounded warriors as well. Good luck man and keep on running. Country Roads, take you home, to the place, where you belong, West Virginia.......

    ReplyDelete