email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 20: Hooray for Rest Days!

Today was a rest day. So, I did just that. We were back at the Ramblin' Roads RV Park again last night, and might I say, I'm enjoying the life of an RV'er. Since today was my rest day, I decided to sleep in. All the way up to 11:30 am. Definitely needed the rest. I did a whole lot of nothing today. Sat around in the van, checked the facebook site, stuffed my face full of food, and got a chance to catch the Roane Co./Calhoun Co. Doubleheader on WVRC's website. Way to go Raiders!! It was really cool getting to listen to my buddy Ty with Mark Martin on the radio. They sounded good. Mom piddled around the RV Park most of the day, I think just waiting for me to get out of the back of the van. Finally, around 5pm she decided we'd go eat at a little restaurant up the road that a few of the local ladies had recommended. I barely even noticed the town of Harcuvar when I ran past it a few days ago, let alone Buckaroo's Restaurant. The town was barely even a town, but the restaurant was really neat. And the food was AWESOME!! Got to meet and talk to one of the owners, Joanie (not sure if the name is spelled right). Very nice woman, who gave me some very good advice on avoiding rattlesnakes. Sidenote: I am absolutely scared to death of snakes. Joanie's co-worker told me that her grandmother suggested I make as much noise as possible so as to scare the snakes away. I am definitely going to utilize that advice. I have instructed Mom to fashion a couple of sets of noisemakers out of our used cans of vegetables. I will be tying them around my ankles and dragging them behind me like a newly married couple's getaway car. May even paint "Just Married" on the back of my shirt for laughs. Nah, I guess I'll just continue to keep a watchful eye out for the slithering creatures, and make a lot of loud noises as I am running. Tomorrow's road should be mostly flat, level ground, with still a wide shoulder on which to run. Hopefully it will be a nice run. Another sidenote: only 7 more days 'til my buddy Adam gets to fly out to Phoenix and hang out for a few days! I can't wait! It will be a great boost for me, which I definitely need early in the trip. Anyway, gonna try and grab some shuteye. I'll check in with you all tomorrow night.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got some good rest and some good food in you, Andrew, along with meeting more new folks and getting some good advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got some much needed rest!! Bet you are stoked about Adam getting to come to Phoenix, have an awesome day and "Keep on Keepin On" very proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dear judy and andrew,
    while you have been gallivanting around this great and beautiful country, meeting incredible, cool new people, and stuffing your faces full of local dishes that i can only dream about as i drive through mcdonalds for the 4th time this week, i have been here, holding down the fort. monday officially marked the end of tax season, and the start of garlan's domestic adventures. i have been trying to help out when i stop by church st. to check on the dogs; a load of laundry here...a few dishwasher cycles there...i even have the littering of the cheese-separating-papers under control. --cause you know that man can't make it the extra 2 feet to the trash. however, even with my small consistent attempts at order, the house was starting to slip. every day i stopped by, i think moxie had dragged out another toy in hopes of playing with someone. i didn't even know those dogs had that many bones and chew toys. (don't worry mom, i've been taking them on long walks almost every day) so, the house is looking kind of messy, and the yard...ummm...let's just say dad told me not to tell mom how bad it had gotten. but no worries, dad got into one of his cleaning/productive modes that is always sooooo helpful. i came home tuesday, to a vacuumed, straightened up house. he even did a load of my laundry that i had left there. next, came the yard work. dad attempted to start the mower on tuesday. my guess is, he didn't prime it, then somehow flooded it, but don't tell him i said that. anyhoo, he failed, and so the mower sat there until it was getting dark and i went and put it back in the garage. after work wednesday, i immediately headed to church st. to take the dogs on their daily walk and dad was back at it again. this time he got it running. yee haw! now mind you, i don't think i've ever seen him mow the lawn in my entire life, and the vision of dad in his clunky, unlaced hiking boots (no socks) and shorts, baring his white legs, tearing up the yard, just struck me funny. i really wanted to video tape it on my phone, but somehow it felt cruel, like making fun of someone helpless. so, i take the dogs on a pretty long walk and when i get back, patches of the lawn are gone, but he's still not close to being done, which is weird cause it's not that big of a yard. well, things must have taken a turn for the worse because the mower has stopped and dad's holding the spout of the gas can (just the spout) in his hands ripping at it and cussing. i hesitantly approach as he yells, "nothing *#@$*%! works around here” and throws the spout at me, which clearly means that i am to rectify the situation. i cannot even explain to you, what has happened to the spout, but it is unusable and he swears he did nothing to it. i go pour the gas without it, as he barks, "i will pay you $40, every time, for you to mow this yard." he grumbles other things as he's walking away from me to go conquer the rest of the evil lawn. but, you know how that goes. i didn't hear any of it.
    so, enjoy yourselves. stay safe and healthy, but hurry home. dad, the puppies, and i miss you.

    love,

    elliot

    ReplyDelete