email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 9: Redemption.

Redemption is the best word I could think of to describe the type of run I had today. As terrible as yesterday"s fiasco was, today was solid. It wasn't any world-altering, baby-creating splendor of a run. It was just good. But, really good. I think it must be based solely on comparison to the previous day's run. Of course, getting flogged about the head and shoulder area with a spiked bat would have even been a refreshing change from yesterday's run.
I was running for my Aunt and uncle, and cousins, the Heasleys today. For some reason, the thought of my uncle immediately had me in the mood to discuss WVU football to myself as I ran. I was immediately in a pretty good mood with the realization that WVU football is merely 4 1/2 months away. Every year I pick the Mountaineers to go 12-0 and win the National Championship. People call me crazy, for that and a laundry list of other things. But I figure the year I am right, I can finally say I was right all along. Anyway, my first 8 miles this morning was dominated by WVU football, who we're gonna start, who needs to step up this year, how's Dana Holgerson gonna do, etc. It helped keep my mind thoroughly occupied. Of course, if I allowed myself to discuss WVU sports like my father, Uncle's Stan, Jeff and Jay, and cousins Mike and Steve do, I would have to turn around at the Atlantic Ocean and run back to California just to get half of their banter completed. It's always funny to get together at big outings, such as Christmas or summer trips to the beach. The kids are all running around the house with sugar rushes, and the ladies are catching up on who's dating their nieces and nephews. I just sit back at the kitchen table waiting, and watching for the storm. I believe that each male in our family physically salivates in their vehicle on the way to these family get togethers at the thought of the carnage to commence. At least dad does, haha. When they all arrive, all the males slowly begin to hover around each other, like hungry sharks swimming around a fresh piece of chum. Then, someone makes the first move..."Well, how are the Mounties gonna do this year..." I can't even describe the free-for-all that follows, as it is more gruesome than my bloody nipples, but it sure is fun to watch. The intensity with which each alpha male in our family makes a case convinces me that any one of them, if chosen to defend OJ, would've had him acquitted weeks earlier.
Sorry, I went off course there for a few. But that's how easy it was for me to get caught up in my own mind discussing WVU athletics to myself as I ran. It was a very pleasant first 8 miles. The weather was significantly nicer today. Not nearly as much wind, and warmer. Let's just say it wasn't "jacket weather". Shorts, a t-shirt and a long john shirt for a little while made the run smooth. When I stopped after 8 miles to rest for a minute, I felt a little bit sluggish though, which worried me. Of course, I figured I could get by the last 4 miles of the morning, then I could sleep off any remaining exhaustion. That was an optimistic assumption. Not more than a mile in, my legs started to feel like jello, and the cramps in my feet, which have been there since day 1, suddenly began to hurt really bad, to the point that I could not block out the pain. Luckily, my mind was still focused, so I limped very sluggishly along the road until I finally reached the van.
Let's just say I had no trouble resting. Let's also just say that I had a lot of trouble getting back up. Let's just say I acted like an 8 year old that didn't want to get up for school.
I felt like my tank was still on empty as I stretched for the final 8 miles of the day. Discouragment peeked its freakish head into my mind once again. It must have shown on my face, because mom actually asked me if I was regretting my decision to do this run. It wasn't that, but I was regretting my decision to wake up from the beautiful bliss of sleep I was enjoying. As they say in showbusiness though, the show must go on. So I crossed the road, turned on the IPod, and grudgingly shuffled my feet along for the first few steps.
You know, it's like I think I said yesterday, motivation comes in the weirdest little ways sometimes. About 2 miles into the last 8, I was still feeling it bad, when I looked up and noticed a vulture circling in the sky. I thought little of it and kept on pushing. However, I looked up again about 5 minutes later, and it was still there. It was at that point, I realized I was on the menu, and that vulture wanted me fresh. I started to ponder to myself. I said "self", ok not really, but I did question if I was, in fact, starting to turn. I sniffed around a bit to find out if I was starting to pickle, but all seemed okay. So I began to discuss my impending demise with the vulture. I said "hey vulture, what are you waiting around here for, I'm still moving". To which he replied, "yeah, for now". After convincing him that I was not good eatin's, we discussed WVU football for a while. Haha, just kidding. But I did have a good laugh about my telepathic conversation with the vulture, and before I knew it, 4 miles had expired, no pun intended.
With only 4 miles standing between me and a day of rest, my mind went into overdrive. Early into the last 4 miles, I got a sudden burst of energy. Then, the pain went away. Then, the speed increased. Then, my jaw started to clinch, and I got that crazy look in my eyes. Finally, the coup de gras, Freebird came on my music shuffle, haha. You can't make this stuff up, well I guess you can, but who would want to. The song just reminded me of home, and before I knew it, I was damn near sprinting. This lasted an entire 3 miles, well not the song, but the feeling, and I coasted to the van at the end of the day. It was a fantastic end to the 2nd four day stretch of runs, and I feel a very deserved rest is now in order for tomorrow. Hopefully, I have many more moments like the end of today, and far fewer runs like yesterday's. Either way, I know in my heart and my mind, I can make it through the bad days, and shine brightly on the good days. I think that may just be what life is all about.

2 comments:

  1. You ARE getting it, Drew! Great writing...and you are collecting such good material for a lot of new songs...I expect to hear a BUNCH of them from you and your guitar after you return home! Or even during your trip, perhaps :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the humor and positive thinking.

    ReplyDelete