email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Day 14: Bye Bye California!!

That's right folks, I am officially in Arizona now. Not just to sleep in a Walmart parking lot, which we did 3 consecutive nights. We drove into Parker, AZ every night just to have a place to park the van, and we drove back west each day this week so I could inch my way closer to Parker by foot. I finally arrived this evening, about 6:45 pm, PST. It was such an amazing feeling as I crossed the bridge above the Colorado River and saw the sign welcoming me to Arizona. Although I had seen the same sign the previous 3 days as we drove into Parker, it was quite different to finally make it there on these weary legs. It meant that I had officially run from the Pacific Ocean to Arizona!! It was a very surreal feeling when I stood under the Arizona sign to get my picture. 12 days of running. 240 miles. 1 state complete. I stopped just long enough to take the moment in, grab a few pictures, and re-run the last little bit so mom could get it on film, haha. I told her she better get it on the first take, cause I'm not stopping til I finish the day's run, a whopping 0.5 miles into Arizona. She said, "oh, it's only a couple extra steps". But to me, after 20 miles, a couple extra steps is pushing it.
Anyway, the run today was very nice, although I was on fumes really for most of the morning 12 miles. I got a good rest in at lunch, and finished strong. It was nice not to really hurt badly for 2 straight runs. We decided that since we had been staying at the same Walmart parking lot for 3 days, we'd mix things up a little. So we drove north some 30 miles to Lake Havasu City just for tonight, where we now are sitting in the vehicle, at a Walmart parking lot, haha. I should clarify, we were sitting at the actual Walmart parking lot until a nice patrolman informed us that we were not allowed to stay there overnight. Apparently, Walmart only owned the building here, the parking lot was city property. The patrolman was a very nice man though, and directed us toward the "Old" Walmart parking lot, which we are now at, sitting in the vehicle. It's much darker in this lot, but there's a 24 hr Circle K gas station within walking distance if I get any late night cravings for beef jerky. I've already set my sights on IHOP for breakfast tomorrow, which has me so giddy, I may not sleep well. It's the little things I enjoy, haha. Tomorrow, it's back south to Parker, AZ and I assume our normal Walmart Inn & Suites location. Saturday morning, it's up and off towards Phoenix. If all goes as planned, I should be in Phoenix within 7 running days. Hopefully we get a chance to meet with the Governer of Arizona there, or at least maybe take in a Diamonbacks game on my day off. Anybody know how to get ahold of Ken Kendrick. He is a fellow WVU alum and is the GM of the team. If so give the guy a call and hook me up, haha. Anyway, all is well on the road today. Mind is good, body feels decent, and California is now in the rear view. Night.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing and awesome, Andrew! So proud of you and Judy and I hope you do get to meet with the Governor AND get to see a Diamondbacks game! Run, Mountaineer, run!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Drew...Proud of you for running across the sun shine state. Keep up the hard work and inspiring dedication.

    ReplyDelete