email: dmrun2hot@gmail.com Facebook: DrewMiller TheLongroadhome Ways to Donate: 1. Cash- I have an account set up at FNB in Spencer for cash donations. Just tell the teller it's for Andrew Miller's WWP account. 2.Checks- Make checks out to the Wounded Warrior Project and either give them to my dad or sister in town, or mail them to 527 Church St., Spencer, WV 25276. I have a form that has to be filled out and sent in with each check. 3. Online Donations Page- I have an online donations page link on the right side of this blog. Simply click the link, and you can donate online.

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 7: What Happened to the Heat!?

Not the Miami Heat either. I mean, we woke up this morning to 40+ mph winds and 50 degree weather that felt more like 30. I thought southern California was supposed to be warm this time of year. Ehh, I think I was just still grumpy this morning from the terrible night of non-sleep last night. We thought we'd be treating ourselves to a little luxury with a hotel stay for one night, but I will gladly stay in the back of the van every night to avoid a night like that. Now don't get me wrong, the hotel we stayed at was very affordable, due to mother's newly found haggling skills, and the rooms were very, well, roomy. They had all the amenities we needed, such as a hot shower, a microwave, and my favorite, a TV for some much needed SportCenter for myself. However, to call what I slept on a bed would really be stretching the limits of the proper definition of a bed. I know concrete pads that are more comfortable than what I slept, well, didn't sleep on. Seriously, I have actually slept outside of the WVU Coliseum a few times for guest football tickets. I reminded myself of the kid in the Adam Sandler movie Big Daddy laying on the newspaper after I wet the bed. Wait, I mean I didn't wet the bed, he did. Nevertheless, I got about 2 hours sleep at best, so i wasn't looking forward to a very productive run today. Just hoping to drag my sorry ass across the 20 mile finish line today.
The run started with a gentle uphill slope for the first 4 miles, which gave my calves time to warm up, even though I was yawning most of the first 4 miles. The wind was relentlessly smacking me around from all sides, all day. After the first 4 miles I took a quick breather to assess the small knoll I was to run up next. And of course, by small knoll, I mean a 2 mile creation of satan himself. For those at home, I will give a visual comparison. Imagine the hill at East Meadows, only for 2 straight miles, with Mike Tyson winds hitting you with rights, lefts, and occasional rabbit punches to the back of the head. I don't really remember much about the run for the next 3 miles after that hill, but I came to near a US Citizens Bank branch, and a Del Taco(which is like freaking McDonalds out here). I finished the morning run, 12 miles, relatively strong and broke for lunch. Got a good nap in as well, haha. I ran all day today on the 29 Palms Highway, which doesn't have much of a shoulder on either side, but it does have a dirt, well sand, road running parallel to it. I was on that sandy road for most of the last 8 miles today. I wish I could say it was hard, compact sand that felt just like gravel, but sadly it was not. You know the type of sand that exists from the moment you step on to the beach from the steps to the high tide line? Yeah, that type of sand, damnit. Even with the sand, and the wind, and the cold, and the lack of sleep, I actually felt extremely strong finishing the final 2 miles. I actually sped up my pace a bit, which felt very good.
I got to see a ton of soldiers in their fatigues driving back from the 29 Palms Marine Base today, and it kept me very inspired. Watching each one pass, I was constantly reminded of why I am doing this run, and just who I am doing it for. Sometimes motivation shows up in the smallest ways, like a passing soldier heading home from a long day of protecting my right and ability to run with the wind at my back and only a slighlty less than comfortable bed on my worry list. Good stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment